December 18, 2009

Baking Blitz: Cooking Option: Quiche

The other week I was in the kitchen and I was in a “cooking” mode. I cooked I think three different dishes/meals and my husband was in there wanting to help. Our kitchen is small so I asked him to sit at the table and I would bring him what he needed to help (I know it sounds silly but I’m serious when I stay our kitchen is small and it’s a smart move for our marriage for us not to both be in there cooking at the same time!)

I give him full credit for the end result but I showed him how to make quiche. He’s not to versed in cooking (yet) so it’s always fun when I can teach him something. I gave him what he needed step but step and wow he did an amazing job (and he bragged about it to everyone he would find I think!)

Preheat the oven for 350.

Crust:
1 1/2 cups Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Butter
3 tbsp cold Water or Milk

Instructions:
Place the flour and salt a bowl and cut in the butter.

Mix in water, 1 tablespoon at a time. As soon as the dough adheres to itself when pinched, stop adding water and turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Gather it gently into a ball.

Roll the dough out and cut to the size of your pie pan and press in place.

Filling:
6 Eggs
1 Smookie (cut up small)
1 cup Cheese (of your choice)
1/3 cup Milk or cream
2 tbsp Butter
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Basil (to taste)
(other spices of your choice)

Instructions:
Beat eggs, milk and butter together. Add salt, pepper, basil and any other spices you want. Mix in cheese and smookie. Pour into pie crust. Bake for 30-45 minutes.


Enjoy!

Have any good ideas, suggestions or experiences....share them, leave a comment, I’d love to hear from you!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love making quiche! But I have yet to make the crust for it, I always just use the pie shells which work very well as well (but home made is the best!)
    Paul always asks me to make him quiche cause it is the one thing (other then chili) that I can make really good.

    Love your food post Mandi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's seriously one of my fav things to make! i love it so much! i made some mini ones the other day because i mixed too much dough and filling. i think i'm going to take them along on our road trip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!