March 22, 2011

Baking My Way: Pillsbury Crisp Chocolate Snaps


I had a girl friends birthday party so I thought I would make these to bring a long (I promised some baking). I didn't have any butter, shortening or even margarine (the last two I almost never have) and I'm trying to stick to the grocery budget so I looked up other substitutes and I had no idea that you could just use oil! Here's the post I did about oil and the conversion but I didn't know you could do that. For some reason I thought you had to do a combination if you didn't have enough butter, but no, you can use just straight up oil. And I'll tell you other then the difference in how the batter looks at first you can't tell or see (or taste!) the difference!

I give these a 4 (1 being "I'll never bake them again" and 5 being "They are now one of my favorites")


INGREDIENTS
2 cups sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cups margarine or butter, softened
6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted, cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon red food color, if desired
3 eggs
4 cups All Purpose or Unbleached Flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar


DIRECTIONS
In large bowl, combine 2 cups sugar, brown sugar and margarine; beat until light and fluffy. Add chocolate, vanilla, food color and eggs; blend well.


Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 to 2 hours for easier handling.


Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls; roll in 1/4 cup sugar. Place 3 inches apart on greased cookie sheets.


Bake at 350°F. for 8 to 12 minutes or until set. (Cookies will puff up, then flatten during baking). Cool 1 minute. Remove from cookie sheets.

3 comments:

  1. I often use olive oil as a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just looking at those photos are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! And the worst (or best?) part is they taste even better then they look!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the feedback! I read each comment and really appreciate them all! Have a creative day!